Friday, December 23, 2011

Music To My Ears

I love music.  When I want to be more energized, I'll listen to more energetic music like The Black Eyed Peas.  If I want to relax before going to bed, you'll catch me listening to calmer music such as Enya.  I'm here to share with you the different ways to listen to music through the internet and TV.  Perhaps you will find a new favorite way to listen to music.  

I have mentioned Pandora once before but I feel the need to talk about it more.  Pandora is by far my favorite way to listen to music.  You can do it for free w/commercials or pay for a year subscription.  You can get an app for it on your phone.  Any type of music you can think of is on there: alternative, solo piano, nature sounds, country, New Age, Film Scores, French Cafe, Teen Pop and Chicago Blues to name a few.  I highly recommend getting an account on there and exploring.

Online stations
Online stations fall into two categories: ones like 101.9 The Mix that are an actual FM radio station but you can listen to them online too and then there are the ones that are just played online like Third Rock and Q101.  Since I live near Chicago, my listening is influenced by what is played around here and this is by no means an entire list of online stations out there.
  • Third Rock 
    • This station is becoming one of my favorites.  It is a radio station that was made by NASA in order to connect with the public more.  Occasionally a NASA update is mentioned but not too often and the music is selected very well.  It is rock but it is a whole variety of rock.  You'll here familiar artists but also some ones you may not have heard before.
  • Q101
    • This is a unique station in that it used to be an FM radio station but it is no longer.  Now it is played on their website and you can listen to it on your phone through an app.  They still play alternative rock like they did before except now you no longer have the DJ's.  The only negative is that their commercials all sound like infomercials that make me want to turn off the station.
  • 101.9FM The Mix
    • This station plays a wider variety of music such as alternative, rock, and pop.  They do have DJs and promote local concerts just like a regular FM station.
What's nice about this page is that you can watch old and new music videos.  Not all artists are available but there is a pretty good selection.  You can also listen to their stations like the 90's station.  

If you have iTunes you can go to the Radio section and find a big variety of stations that you can listen to for free.

TV Cable
If you have Comcast cable, you can go to the radio stations on the TV.  Again, a pretty good variety.

Those are the many ways I have listened to music over the past several years.  This is by no means a complete list and you are more than welcome to share how you listen to music.  I hope you have a wonderful holiday filled with music that puts a smile on your face and gets you tapping your foot.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment